G9 or M1.2 ?

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
Felice62
OP Felice62 Senior Member • Posts: 2,323
Re: G9 or M1.2 ?

mbike999 wrote:

I have owned and used both. They are both outstanding cameras.

The E-M1 II if you want the smaller camera with slightly better OIS when paired with compatible Olympus Pro glass, and higher reliability of the AF with fast action type shooting, or if you just like the feel and operation of Olympus.

The G9 if you want a better (IMO) hybrid camera with excellent video features, a focus point selector joystick, much better viewfinder and a more ergonomic body, better menus IMO. The AF experience is different because it uses DFD vs Phase detection. Some people are turned off by the visual nature of DFD when using AF-C (it didn't bother me personally), but my experience is AF-S is dead accurate. I also adore the pinpoint and AF Point scope features on G9. Similar to Olympus, you will have to purchase Lumix lenses to take advantage of Dual-IS feature.

In this case, given your shooting preferences I would pick the body that goes along with the lenses you want (although be assured that mixing and matching brands will still provide excellent performance) and which one you like using more if you can try them first.

You can't go wrong really.

Thanks. I do have the G9. I have owned and still own a few olympus bodies. I like the build quality of Olympus gear. It feels very good. I have never grabbed the M1.2 and have no reason to think it is not an outstanding camera to hold and operate. I was really impressed by the snappy behavior of the G9, its touch screen the extremely adaptability to one's workflow, the great EVF, joystick, customized focus patterns, dual UHS-2 card slots, battery life and with the newest firmware, the addition of animal detection (I haven't tested it yet..) and improvements of the already impressive video features..

I know I can't go wrong with any of the two bodies, it now only boils down to personal preferences, which I can't come up with.

It is going to be my Christmas gift so I want it to be the right one.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

If only closed minds came with closed mouths..

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow