Aspect Ratios on Olympus cameras vs Panasonic?

Started 6 days ago | Questions thread
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 11,881
Re: Aspect Ratios on Olympus cameras vs Panasonic?

Andrew Mitchell wrote:

alcelc wrote:

Andrew Mitchell wrote:

I am thinking of buying my first M43 camera. My 2010 Sony A55 is on its last legs, and I’m getting a bit bored with the constant 28mm of my Fuji X70 (although I still use it).

It is a toss up between the older Olympus EM10 Mark 3, or the newer Panasonic GX9. I have not decided on a lens yet, but I’m more comfortable with primes than cheap zooms.

On M43 land, you might find quite many low cost consumer grade zoom lenses are having outstanding IQ not far from prime lenses, or to the premium/pro zoom lenses.

Would you care to expand on this? I’ve been looking at Panasonic lenses, but know nothing about Olympus lenses at all. (I know the lenses are cross usable, but for aesthetic purposes would want Oly on Oly.) Thanks

On usage they are similar.

I read that on most recent Panny and Oly bodies both support in-camera lens distortion & CA correction for lens from both brands.

Of course there are some minor incompatibilities (like the aperture ring on Panny Leica lenses does not supported by Oly bodies, or certain Oly lenses have a fn key on the lenses that is not supported on Panny bodies), as well as some more significant consideration as below:

• Dual IS & DFD: compatible Pany lenses on Panny bodies only.
  • Synchronized IS: the 2 Oly OIS pro lenses on EM1.2 only. 

It is about 1~2 stops max extra effective stabilization and the faster AF (making possible by DFD) on top of the already very fast AF... but in reality might not be very noticable in real life .

Of course, use a Panny lens on Panny bodies for their max capability (Dual IS and DFD) sounds never lose. Therefore it is always better to use a Panny lens on Panny bodies than its peer Oly lens: e.g. 14-140, 45-150, 14-42 mk-II or 12-32 from Panny that are DUAL IS  and DFD vs 14-150, 40-150 or 14-42 from Oly which are non OIS, need IBIS of Panny bodies and no DFD...

Due to the more effective IBIS of Oly bodies, it can has easier option on choosing any lens.

In fact not small numbers of members are very happy to shoot with Oly 12-40 f/2.8 pro on Panny bodies, not for the IQ, but a longer reach and closer shooting distance than Panny 12-35 f/2.8 (at a cost of larger/heavier).

I personally prefer the 12-35 f/2.8 on GX85 and G85. It is specially important on GX7 because of its just better than nothing IBIS.

So at the end it is just a matter of personal preference on mixing of Panny & Oly bodies & lenses.

Regarding the low cost consumer grade zoom, not sure the following sample could change your view a little bit?

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow