I finally got it

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 6,134
Welcome to the club!

So true.

My own experience started about 5 years ago when my then current camera, an Olympus E-3, went tumbling down a rocky lack shoreline when I tripped over some branches. I recovered from a sprained wrist, but it was a fatal for the camera which I picked up in pieces. For the rest of that summer, the only camera I had was my then current smartphone, an iPhone 4S.

That turned out to be a blessing in disguise. With patience, I learned the relative strengths and weaknesses, and got to really enjoy shooting with a small sensor camera. I've long migrated to a combination of a micro-four-thirds and smartphone for almost all shooting.

Smartphones are so much better now, as you noted. My iPhone 11 Pro is a very capable device and I use it quite often, sometimes even in place of dragging along anything else.

The thing is to embrace it for what it can do well.  Deep depth of field, a form factor that can be shoved into unusual positions for interesting perspectives. waterproofing, remarkable video capabilities.

The point is that smartphones are not an either/or proposition with regard to other cameras. It's both/and which adds new and extremely useful capabilities to a photographers set of tools.

Jeff's gear list:Jeff's gear list
Olympus 45mm F1.2 Pro Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow