**PART 2** This Week Through Your Eyes 2019.11.30

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
Steve Monks
Steve Monks Contributing Member • Posts: 616
The Priest Hole

Two days after my hike up Wetherlam and I was back in The Lake District.

This time I was visiting the Eastern Fells, specifically Dove Crag to seek out the legendary Priest Hole, a cave set high on the Northern face of Dove Crag that is often considered to be one of the worst kept secrets in the Lake District.

It's also a notorious accident spot, so getting to it was going to require a fair bit of care, particularly as the temperatures had plummeted since Friday and everything now had a nice slippery coating of Hoar Frost.

As it was another dry day I decided to take the X-H1 again accompanied with a trifecta of lenses, namely the 10-24, 16-55 and 55-200, with the 16-55 sitting on the camera for most of the day.

All images are single hand held exposures edited in Capture One Pro 12.

#1 - the ever photogenic Hartsop Dodd, reflected in Brother's Water.

#2 - fantastically intricate hoar frost covered everything.

#3 - this scene reminds me of something you might see fronting a Christmas card.

#4 - heading into Dovedale, with Dove Crag looming up ahead. The Priest Hole is set high on face of the rightmost crag.

#5 - the path becomes a little more challenging.

#6 - Dovedale contains some of the prettiest waterfalls I've seen in The Lake District. They certainly deserve spending a lot more time with them than I had on this walk.

#7 - deciding our next move. The Priest Hole is up there, somewhere, but where is the path?

#8 - the final ascent to The Priest Hole. Most visitors to this location are very cagey about exactly how to reach it. I'm not going to reveal it either, but this is more because I'm not sure how I would describe it, if I could find it again or even if the route was correct, which it probably wasn't.
To find it, we just struck off in the general direction scrambling over boulders looking for some trace of a path and eventually stumbling upon one, only to find out that it petered out after a while, leaving us back to scrambling again until we found the next path fragment and so on, and so on. Getting out was no better either!

#9 - the classic Priest Hole shot. Images like this are often posted on social media when someone has spent a night there. Having seen the accommodation on offer at this venue I wont be one of them.

#10 - included for context, this is what The Priest Hole actually comprises of. Rather than being an actual cave, it's basically a bit of a hollow under an overhang, that someone has built a low wall at the front of.

#11 - Hartsop as the sun is setting.

#12 - one of the best things about this time of year is I get to see the occasional sunset. Typically this means I've miscalculated how long the hike would take, but in this instance I timed it to perfection, getting down off the fells and back to the car just minutes before I'd have needed to unpack the headtorch.

Steve Monks's gear list:Steve Monks's gear list
Sony RX100 V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D810 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
yyr
yyr
yyr
NCV
yyr
yyr
NCV
yyr
yyr
NCV
yyr
yyr
NCV
yyr
NCV
yyr
NCV
yyr
NCV
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow