Aspect Ratios on Olympus cameras vs Panasonic?

Started 6 days ago | Questions thread
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 33,013
Re: Aspect Ratios on Olympus cameras vs Panasonic?

Andrew Mitchell wrote:

I am thinking of buying my first M43 camera. My 2010 Sony A55 is on its last legs, and I’m getting a bit bored with the constant 28mm of my Fuji X70 (although I still use it).

It is a toss up between the older Olympus EM10 Mark 3, or the newer Panasonic GX9. I have not decided on a lens yet, but I’m more comfortable with primes than cheap zooms. With the sales that are on at the moment, the Olympus is very, very competitively priced, even though my gut favors the Panasonic.

For better or worse, my favorite aspect ratio has always been 16:9 for stills (I don’t shoot much video).

My question is this: Is there any difference between the 2 cameras when shooting in 16:9? In Panasonic’s literature, 16:9 is listed as an option, but this is not the case with the Olympus, hence the question.

Any help would be most welcome. Thanks

Page 73 of the E-M10 Mk3 manual says.....

"You can change the aspect ratio (horizontal-to-vertical ratio) when taking pictures.
Depending on your preference, you can set the aspect ratio to [4:3] (standard), [16:9],
[3:2], [1:1], or [3:4]."

So it's just like all the other Olympus and Panasonic bodies, they all do 16:9 if you need it.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow