I'm too scared to bring my A7 II out hiking due to rain - how to prepare?

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pcunnin Regular Member • Posts: 343
I'm too scared to bring my A7 II out hiking due to rain - how to prepare?

Question is same as the title. I live in Hawaii and I'm scared that a shower will break out mid-hike, with it being a long way to the bottom, which could soak my pack and all my stuff it it, breaking my expensive A7 II along with it.

Question - if you guys go outdoors, to do landscape photos, or whatever it is, what do you do in case it rains?

I thought about a waterproof backpack, but that seems silly and if I use it a lot, the durability could wear the seems and make it less than waterproof.

I have a small "rain cover" for my backpack but it doesn't cover the back up the pack (the straps).

My thoughts were to buy a "dry bag" (relatively cheap), and pack it in a non-waterproof backpack in case it rains. Then if it rains, stick my electronics in the dry bag (including my phone, etc.)

I'm looking at this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711WRP5Z/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_bYk5DbAWS4G0R

But what size would I need, 10 L, 20 L, 30 L, etc., just for the camera, 1 extra lens, and cell phone/wallet.

I'm wondering what you guys do in case of rain or how well this would work.

I've heard the A7 weather sealing is not that great and I'm certainly not using weather sealed lenses.

Sony a7 Sony a7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow