A tale of perseverance and luck...

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
absquatulate Forum Pro • Posts: 10,802
A tale of perseverance and luck...

So I went shooting this morning, not expecting much at all. Yesterday we'd had great mist in the morning and I was hoping this morning would be similar, but no dice, just a dull gloomy morning with leaden skies. I had intended to shoot a roll of Ilford's new Ortho 120 film, and give my Kiev 60 a run out. what the hell I thought, just go anyway. So I drove 20 minutes to the forest, taking both my Kiev 60 and SD Quattro. The light hadn't changed and I was a little hung over from a late night so the portents were not good. I found a composition, set my tripod up, rattled a couple off on the Kiev, only to realise I hadn't set the aperture correctly in my early morning fog, bummer, two shots wasted, 10 left.

I wandered around for and bit rattled off a few more shots, taking more care this time. Anyway, it was so gloomy, I decided to walk a little further to a clearing, an area I know which has some interesting subjects. I took a couple more frames and spotted a different composition of a tree I've shot before, so I wandered to a different spot and set my tripod up. As I was setting up, the clouds parted a little and the sun shone for 15 minutes. It was fleeting but gave a lovely early morning golden glow so I grabbed what I could, some on my SD Quattro. It wasn't long before the sun had gone again, but I was happy, lady luck had smiled upon me, so I decided to wander back to my car, satisfied I had got as much as I was going to get. Walking back along the track, I saw a tree in full colour, in contrast to everything around it, so I decided to take the shot, an ordinary composition but I decided to take it anyway. Just as I had set my tripod up a man passed me, in a bright white top running with his dog, that'll work I thought and grabbed the shot, just to give some balance to the image. Then to top it off, I packed up again and spotted something, something I had walked past before and considered, but couldn't settle on a composition, but this time, for some reason, I looked harder and it made sense to me now, this turned out to be my favourite of them all.

So I guess the moral of the story is, when you go out with the lowest expectations you might just be surprised, things happen that you couldn't have predicted, and you'll never know unless you get out there and give it a go, regardless of the conditions. The light really was poor, but I just took the view that at the very least I'd have a nice walk and clear my head, but I got much more than I could have hoped for. I've developed my negatives and they look great as well, but I'll see when I scan them, sometimes they flatter to deceive. Anyway, I've rambled on, here's what I got in the end. These are all in the order they were taken.

absquatulate's gear list:absquatulate's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Sigma sd Quattro Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +4 more
Sigma sd Quattro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow