Initial thoughts on the Fuji X-PRO3

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bill 10 Forum Member • Posts: 58
Initial thoughts on the Fuji X-PRO3

Background

My professional photo work is used in folders, magazines, newspapers and various websites. Part of my work is printed on A3+ format. In addition, I do sometimes street photography. Because of the low weight, compact size and lens quality I switched from Canon full frame to Fuji APS-C format about 6 years ago. I exchanged my X-PRO2, as successor to the X-E2, for an X-PRO3.

The X-PRO3, different from other cameras

I will not discuss here the quality of the sensor. It is the same sensor as in the XT-30 and XT-3 and you can find enough information about this sensor. Also, I'm not going to describe every button, I'll limit myself to the big changes and how I experience them myself.

The electronic viewfinder (EVF)

One of the reasons for me to switch from X-PRO2 to X-PRO3 is the improved EVF. The magnification has gone from 0.59 to 0.66. In addition, the contrast has been increased, the refresh rate has been increased and the number of pixels has been increased. The difference between the 'old' and 'new' viewfinder image is pretty large. That alone makes upgrading almost worthwhile for me.

Small monitor on the back

Completely new is the small monitor on the back, just where you expect a big screen. By the menu you can set what you can read on this screen. I find it very pleasant to see the most important settings such as white balance, shutter speed, aperture, exposure correction at a glance, when you pick up the camera. Also the much praised film film simulations of Fuji can be seen on the screen. You can then see, very fancy, on the screen an image similar to the cardboard box that used to contain a film. I miss the yellow Kodak Tri-X image and when it is dark the small monitor can't be read, which is a pity.

Flip screen

The X-Pro2 has a flat, non-flipping and non-touch LCD. In case of a lot of ambient light, the use of this screen is not easy. The X-PRO3 has a flip screen, but mounted backwards. When up, you will see the black backside of the screen and the small monitor. To view the LCD, you will have to flip it down. If you keep the screen flipped down, you can photograph with the EVF or with the optical viewfinder (OVF). You can use the EVF when viewing the photo’s. I myself have noticed that this gives you peace of mind to use only the EVF and not, as usual, to peer alternately at the back of the camera and through the viewfinder.

The screen can be opened, in only one way, i.e. downwards. The camera is then much larger. This does not invite you to use the viewfinder to take pictures and use the screen to view the pictures. If you fold out the screen at 90 degrees, your camera becomes a classic camera with a 'waist level' viewfinder. Only the physical magnifying glass is missing. In my work I often use a low point of view. This folding screen was one of the reasons for me to switch to the X-PRO3. This folding screen is also useful for street photography, you can take a picture very unnoticed. In the photo studio, a waist level viewfinder has great advantages. After all, your camera is less between you and the model, so you can have more contact with the model. The screen of the X-PRO3 has a higher contrast than the X-PRO2 and viewing is a bit easier because the camera, when folded out 90 degrees, forms shadow on the screen.

No D-pad

The back of the X-PRO3 has undergone a number of changes. I am very happy that the D-pad is gone. When holding the camera with one hand I often unintentionally pressed the D-pad. The functions of the D-pad have been taken over by other buttons in a handy way.

The optical viewfinder

The technical description of the X-PRO3 shows that the OVF of the X-PRO3 has an easier set up. Because I don't work with the OVF I can't write about my own experience.

AF performance

Fuji has a number of slow AF lenses. An example of this is the 60mm/2.4 macro lens. The autofocus in combination with an X-PRO3 a bit faster than in combination with an X-PRO2.

Shuttershock at 16-80 mm/4.0

The Fuji 16-80 mm/4.0 lens is sensitive to shutter shock at 1/125 sec on the X-PRO2. This can be avoided by using the electronic shutter at that shutter speed. This phenomenon also occurs with the X-PRO3 and can be avoided in the same way.

My thoughts about the X-PRO3

The shape of the X-PRO2 has always invited me to take pictures. Fuji went one step further with the X-PRO3. The inviting shape of the camera has, as far as I'm concerned, remained. Because the flipping screen remains closed during shooting, you are forced to work with the EVF (or OVF). This stops you going back and forth between looking through the viewfinder and looking at the screen at the back. I've noticed that this makes me more focused on taking pictures. In other words, I am more concentrated. The quality of the ECF and the screen has much improved, the small monitor on the back of the camera is handy. By dropping the D-pad, the camera is more comfortable in my hand. The fact that the flipping screen can only be unfolded in one way is a great idea. Perhaps that says something about my way of taking pictures.

Bill 10's gear list:Bill 10's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Samyang 10mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +4 more
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow