Damn DAM !! Any info is appreciated . . .

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Hans de Zomers Regular Member • Posts: 351
Re: Damn DAM !! Any info is appreciated . . .

I favor separating DAM and editing. Compare it with the all-in-one stereo systems from the 80s and 90s: they did the job but they typically won't outperform a good dedicated amplifier with a high end CD player. And if needed you can move on to a new player without losing that excellent amplifier.

It happens too often that a tool gets discontinued. And surprisingly it's the bigger companies who tend to cancel a product more often than the smaller companies. In the past 5 years some big names disappeared: Apple Aperture, PhaseOne Media Pro, Canto Cumulus, Extensys Portfolio, and a few more.

My advise is to go for a good RAW converter and combine it with a good DAM tool. Today, the most obvious choices are Photo Supreme (Windows and macOS), iMatch (Windows only), or Daminion (Windows only; also not sure if it still exists).

Personally I use Photo Supreme, combined with DXO. In the past I have switched RAW converters a few times already. I went from C1 to Lightroom to DXO now, and I have flirted with SilkyPix as well. In the future I might switch my RAW converter again.

Hans de Zomers's gear list:Hans de Zomers's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS M50
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow