Damn DAM !! Any info is appreciated . . .

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jack scholl
jack scholl Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228
Damn DAM !! Any info is appreciated . . .

Longtime LR ver 6.14 user with 100,000 file catalog, 1.3 GB of photo files (on an external SSD ) and use DxO PhotoLab for bad noise and UWA distortion (Viewpoint) files.  The DAM capabilities of LR have been a wonderful feature that has been used extensively.  But the Adobe subscription double cross makes it hard to trust anything they say about the future.

It seems like Apple has forced a decision on the future with the OS 64 bit incompatibility with 6.14.

So, have previously purchased Luminar 4, ON1Photo RAW 2019, used them in demo mode and have a trial ongoing with Exposure X5.

So far . . .

Luminar seems toy like . . . and ON1 seems much more capable, but both are woeful DAM's.  And after much dialog with both techs, hope is not very encouraging.  They seem to be focusing on other priorities for the future.

Exposure X5 has a very capable, if a bit clumsy, DAM that can replicate the keyword capabilities of LR.  Which is a big deal.  It is fast and shares many of ON1 strengths.

But it is a major commitment to devote enough time to get as familiar with X5 as I am with LR.  And while I read all sorts of interesting "features" that show up with the LR updates by Adobe in the subscription world, Adobe will likely be there longer than X5.

So pick a future nightmare . .  a DAM that is more likely to have a limited life span (X5) or one run by a company with very talented programmers and no soul.

OK, I have flushed my confused brain into the tread . . .

Any constructive comments or experience is welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Jack

jack scholl's gear list:jack scholl's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow