Conflicted. A7ii w/ kit lens + extra lens or only A7iii + kit lens?

Started Nov 25, 2019 | Questions thread
caterpillar Veteran Member • Posts: 7,635
Go with the A7-3 + kit lens

newff2019 wrote:

If I skip out on A7 mk 3 I can get a A7 mk2 with kit lens and drop a bit more to get the 24mm f1.4 gmaster. Otherwise, I will have to accept the kit lens with the mk3 and wait a while before I can get the 24mm f1.4.
What do you guys think? What should I do!?

I mainly want to use this for taking family pics and videos.

I appreciate the advice and helping me reason through this.

The A7-3 is the reason why Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic suddenly changed direction. That means that that camera was a true GAME CHANGER in the most literal sense of the phrase. So, why skimp on an excellent body? And don't go for the price drop on the A7-3, because basically it has stayed the same. Maybe for Thanksgiving or some x'mas sale it will drop a bit, but that's as far as it goes. The reason it has held that same price is because it is that good and sells well. Notice how Nikon and Canon have to drop their original price simply because sales were not as brisk.

And don't believe that there "might" be an A7-4 by next year so get an A7-2 now. You don't know that nor anybody else. If I were Sony, I'd have that A7-4 by end of 2020 at the earliest. But if I were Sony, I'd not be in a hurry. It might even be 2021. Why? Well the other 3 competitors still haven't made an A7-3 of their own!

As for the kit lens, I skipped that. It's not bad, but it does not do the camera any justice. If you can get a discounted A7-3 body only, go for that and save for the tamron 28-75. Or since you want that 24mm prime save up for it. if you still can't afford that, why not other brands? They will be cheaper too. Or at worst, try to snag a used 28-70 kit lens cheap.

FYI, I went for 6 months with only my sony aps-c lenses for the sony and canon lenses with a 3rd party adapter. Then when the tamron was on sale, I got one (U$794). It took 1.5 years till I finally got a sony lens (24-240 and 28 f1.8) used. Got both for U$890. The reason here is I know I need one good zoom, and a decent all around lens + a fast prime (not 50mm or higher). I still want an 85 f1.8 or 100 f2.0 and V iltrox 85 f1.8 seems a good candidate for U$340. But I don't need it now. That can wait. The moral is still to get the lenses you really need and don't compromise unless you have to.

And remember - at this point in time, the camera body drives the innovation, so you must get one that will be good for the next 5-7 years. The A7-3 fits that bill. Then you start building your lens lineup.

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar
'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

caterpillar's gear list:caterpillar's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
MOD Labe
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow