A7RIV for weddings? High Iso noise?

Started Nov 29, 2019 | Discussions thread
caterpillar Veteran Member • Posts: 7,635
Hard to answer

michaelbs wrote:

noggin2k1 wrote:

First question I'd be asking myself; do I need that jump in MP's?

I went from 6D -> 5D4 when in Canonland, and got no benefit from the MP jump (just poorer high ISO performance), and larger file sizes.

I actively went down the A9/A73 route with Sony, as it strikes the perfect balance on detail/file size.

Sure. I went through those considerations too. Ended up with wanting the best of the best (a7r4) and today I can grab it with a nice discount. Only uncertainty is how well the IQ performs at ISO 1600-6400. Hence my question.

This is hard to answer simply  because each one of us have our own ceiling of what is acceptable. Me, for example, tend to be more forgiving and may even go to iso 12,800, especially if the printed image is around 5x7 or small in a layout album.

Why not use DPR's camera image comparison tool and plug in your 5d4, a7R-4, A7-3 (or A9)? In that way, you have a better starting point and idea of how the camera works at iso 6400. Personally, I think iso 6400 is just fine even for 61mp. But as I said, each one of us have their own standards.

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar
'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

caterpillar's gear list:caterpillar's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow