This thread is locked.
creative edge
creative edge Senior Member • Posts: 1,582
Re: Big prints with 12 MP

JimKasson wrote:

Macro guy wrote:

thebbqguy wrote:

Macro guy wrote:

I think I've reached that conclusion. The anomalies I've found are professionals in the business for multiple decades.

I've been taking photos for 35 years+ but I want to do more than that to see what I can do.

I'll just get more active in the local club, network, learn and go from there.

I've got a few 12 megapixel cameras and at this point it makes no sense to buy a 24 megapixel camera to upgrade. It makes more sense to step up to 50 megapixels or more I think.

I believe I saw Clyde Butcher say in one newspaper article that he was impressed with the 36 megapixel he used for a short time while recovering from his health issues. You just work within the limitations of the chosen tools.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge and wisdom in this thread.

Good luck with that. And remember the number of megapixels is dictated by how large you're going to print. You don't need 50mp unless you're going to print 20x30" at 300dpi. If you never print bigger than 11x14, a 12 mp camera is fine.

How large you can print successfully from a 12 MP file depends heavily on the subject matter and technique. I am currently printing for an upcoming exhibition, and yesterday I made two large prints on 44-inch paper from 12 MP captures, and they look great:

Jim

Jim,

Love that image, wow, nicely done.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rbf
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow