Mirrorless Camera for family photos and videos under 800$?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TarunVader10 New Member • Posts: 10
Mirrorless Camera for family photos and videos under 800$?

I basically don't know a lot about gear and I really need help picking a good camera and glass combination for my use case. I'll mostly use this for family and travel photo and videos. Next year I go into college so I also want to start doing amateur photography and make music covers so I pick up some skills.

I would like good low light performance for both photos and videos, most of the latest features (future-proofing), good AF and 4K Video. I don't mind going used provided I can find it easily on a reputable website. How long do batteries typically last? It should last a while and I could just get spares. Weight and size don't matter too much.

I'm not sure if i should go 4K, as that means less budget towards lenses. Since I'm just starting out I figure that would be fine but at this price I see most people recommend spending a bit more on lenses. I live in India and my dad is visiting the US and he can pickup a camera for much cheaper than over here. That's why I want the most features possible including 4K. I won't be able to upgrade to higher end gear without paying significantly more and even used gear is pretty limited over here.

As for lenses, I know that good lenses will make a big difference versus poor kit lenses but the different mounts and brands and focal lengths and f-stops confuse me. I think I could make do with one 18-55mm lens that's decent if I get a great body. But if you guys think getting a slightly better lens or two and getting a not as good body makes more sense, then that's fine too. I'd prefer one really good lens with a good body, keeping in mind low light conditions.

The A6300 is really appealing and so is the Fuji X-T20. The A6000 with two lenses also seems like a great value. The G85 seems like an okay option. The RX100 seems like a great idea but I do want to be able to upgrade just the lenses later on.

If there's a DSLR that would suit my needs that's okay too but I won't be getting any more lenses for at least another 3 years so the existing market of cheap lenses isn't that useful. Either way, I'd prefer not to totally cheap out on the body and I'd like something that has a decent availability of good lenses. If the particular mount works with other bodies with a mount adapter that would be useful in the future potentially.

The max budget I can probably do is 800$ with probably a case, storage, adaptor and a spare battery. Anything else I might need? Thanks a lot in advance.

Fujifilm X-T20 Panasonic G85 Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow