GFX 100 vs a7RIV landscape IQ Locked

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 17,585
Re: The basics of format size differences

JimKasson wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

PhaseOne is the only current option for those wanting considerable, easily discernible gains over FF.

I disagree with this repeated take in the most vehement terms. In my opinion, it is 100% false.

Let's keep in mind the basics of format comparison:

1. For IQ, size matters, and bigger is better
  2. But bigger is heavier and more expensive, too – and therefore less popular – and niche markets aren’t where you’re likely to find price/performance stars.
  3. Once an image is good enough for its intended use, there is little point in making it better, especially if doing so involves large amounts of cash and great inconvenience.
  4. There is no magic.

Let's keep in mind that there are no standards for what size medium format has to be. Anything larger than 24x36 mm is considered MF. I've used sensors of 36x36 mm, 33x44mm, and at least two larger sizes. There are other MF sensor sizes that I have not used, such as 30x45 mm. All existed because they afford advantages over smaller sizes in some circumstances.

Lastly, it's easy to forget point number 3 above, but it is important.

Jim

None of my images are truly good enough and I doubt that at this point in the "digital revolution" of personal photography, no amount of money can buy what is needed to take good enough images because I do not think the system(s) has been invented yet.

-- hide signature --

Once you've done fifty, anything less is iffy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a7R IV Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rbf
rbf
rbf
rbf
rbf
tex
rbf
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow