Luminar Sky Replace

Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
lokatz
lokatz Senior Member • Posts: 1,642
Re: Luminar Sky Replace

omair wrote:

Tried luminar 4’s sky replace. Any feedback on that or anything else welcome.

I like Luminar's sky replacement, but -without meaning to be disrespectful or just trash your pics- I am not impressed with any of the attempts you posted. Here is why:

#1: The sky looks as if it has nothing to do with the rest of the scene. It would need some color adjustment, with a bit more warmth to be believable. Part of the issue may also be that the clouds look too small, such that the angle of the sky we are viewing looks a lot wider than the angle of the rock opening suggests. On top of that, there is a small halo edge at the left top edge of the canyon that gives away the manipulation. Nevertheless, this is still the closest of the three to being believable.

This was a late morning shot, plain blue skies

#2: According to the shadows of the rocks, the sun clearly comes from the far left. Yet, the sky looks like the sun is behind the leftmost rock. Err, what?

Almost broke my neck getting to this spot, but again. Plain blue skies in mid afternoon

#3: You've got to be kidding. The sun is clearly behind or just to the left of that center rock formation, but the rock is lit on the side facing the viewer, away from the sun. You must have used a VERY powerful torchlight to take that shot!

In order to replace skies in a credible fashion, always make sure the sky and the lighting of the rest of the image tell the same story. Otherwise, our brains may not necessarily be able to tell us why, but we are nevertheless able to spot right away that something is fishy.

lokatz's gear list:lokatz's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D700 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow