Am I unable to handhold X-T30 and 50mm at 1/60?

Started Nov 27, 2019 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
roberthd12 Contributing Member • Posts: 623
Am I unable to handhold X-T30 and 50mm at 1/60?

Hi. I am mostly a natural light guy and am crappy at getting flash shots that I like. However, I had to take this photo today and it is soft. The reason it is soft is likely that I am unable to handhold steadily at 1/60 of a sec.

I guess I am getting old. Though I like my Fuji equipment very much, I miss the Oly IBIS that I used in years past.

Anyway, I tried the all-auto function of my X-T30, Nissin i40 flash at +0.5 exposure (with bounce card)––using the 50mm f2. I have not color corrected the background or done anything to this pic..which I would normally do. But if you zoom into the eyes, which is where I supposedly focused, he's soft.

So, if I am too decrepit to handhold at the default 1/60 exposure chosen by all-auto, then I assume the following:

* Don't shoot these shots in all-auto unless using an OIS lens

* Get off all-auto and manually choose 1/125 in order to ensure sharpness with this type of flash shot, then choose the aperture manually or let the camera choose.

Am I right? Thx.

-- hide signature --
 roberthd12's gear list:roberthd12's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
KFo
JNR
KFo
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow