Why most people seem to switch to Fuji's mirrorless than Canon's M series?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
davev8
davev8 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,626
Re: Most? No. But...

noisebeam wrote:

Alastair Norcross wrote:

jalywol wrote:

Those who do, do it for the lens selection.

Similarly, those who choose Micro 43s also have a vast lens selection to choose from.

Canon has chosen to market the M line to entry-level, modest budget, users.

This is clearly not true with the M6 and M6II. Some of us have been avid photographers for over forty years, and also own more expensive cameras and lots of bigger heavier lenses. The M6 and M6II are definitely marketed to me and people like me. The M50 and M100 and M200 fit your description more. The M6II is marketed to people, advanced experienced users among them, who want great image quality in a small camera that has all the capabilities of bigger heavier DSLR's.

They do not have the native lens offerings for the M line that would appeal to higher end users, even though the cameras themselves, at this point, are very capable.

Lens selection is only a factor, if you can't get the lenses you want to do the things you want. Henri Cartier-Bresson, hardly an entry-level photographer, used one lens for the vast majority of his pictures, and no more than one or two others his entire career. He wasn't an aberration in this regard. Canon's two excellent fast primes are enough for many people. The addition of Sigma's 16 and 56 make a very serious high-quality set. Add the 11-22 for landscapes and cityscapes, and the 18-150 for more casual use, and you're almost drowning in lenses. Perhaps it would be nice to have a high-quality fast zoom for sports, but it's not clear that an EF-M version would have many advantages over an adapted EF. For many years I've used a 70-200 F2.8L IS (versions I and II) for sports on a 7D and 7DII. When I adapt that lens to my M6II, even with the adapter, the combination is still smaller than using it on the 7DII.

The fact is that if you're a serious photographer, you'll know what you want and how to get it with almost every camera system. If you're put off the M system by the number of EF-M mount lenses available, the chances are that you're simply listening to others telling you that you need a vast selection of lenses to choose from. Perhaps someone tells you that "higher end" users need this vast selection, and you really want to think of yourself as a "higher end" user, so you convince yourself that you "need" a camera with a vast selection of native mount lenses to choose from.

There may be some photographers who desperately do want a lens that isn't available in EF-M mount, and don't want to adapt a lens (despite the ease of using the M adapter). Given those desires, it makes sense for them to look at other systems. But sweeping generalizations about "entry-level" and "higher end" photographers are like many other sweeping generalization, often conjured in an arm chair out of thin air.

Sony did the same thing with their APS-C offerings.

The manufacturers who have other irons in the fire (FF with bigger profit margin lenses), tend to look at APS-C as an afterthought. Since Fuji's major line is NOT FF, but APS-C, they only have one format to engineer their lenses for, so they built that selection out very thoroughly. (M43 also, although now that Panasonic has the FF SL series, who knows what they will do with the M43 lenses in future...) . So, users who want a lot of options in native glass, without having to go FF, are going to look first to the lines that have it.

I think Canon has really sold the M line short by their lack of development of better native glass. These would be great hiking cameras if there was a good native long tele zoom for them.

The 18-150 is perfect for that.

Similarly, a better quality, constant max aperture, wide to normal zoom would be a terrific option (say a 15-65mmm, or even just a better 15-45mm). However, who knows what goes through the minds of the corporate marketing departments....

-J

Biggest gap for me is a bright ultra wide (12-15mm) prime. Release one of those and I'll buy an M6ii

looks like nobody's in APS-c land going to take your money today

-- hide signature --

Attention Dislexsic i mean dyslexic person... This post will have many although spell checked, spelling and grammatical errs ..its The best its going get so no need to tell me its bad i know it is .....................................................................................................
My 5D IS a MK1 classic
..........................................................................................................
There is no argument for FF vs APS-c (or m43) with shallow DOF..as it's a law of physics and a very subjective personal thing if you want to make use of the shallow DOF only FF can offer
...........................................................................................................
Political correctness....somebody being offended on someone else's behalf....who that someone doesn't give a damn in the first place ....David Appleton.
.....................................................................................................
If you wait for a camera that will  tick all your boxes ....by then you will have more boxes to tick..... so the wait continues .....David Appleton
..................................................................................................
quoting irrefutable facts may get you branded a racist ..even if no race is involved .......David Appleton
.....................................................................................................

davev8's gear list:davev8's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70s Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Canon EOS M5 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow