GFX 100 vs a7RIV landscape IQ Locked

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
JimKasson
OP JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,867
New results with C1, no output resampling

In my GigaPixel AI post in this thread, I upsampled files from the Fujifilm 100 mm f/2 on the GFX 100 and the Zeiss Otus 85 mm f/1.4 on the a7RIV, using Topaz GigaPixel AI, with surprising results. I had concerns about possible under-the-hood sharpening differences with Lightroom, and also with Lightroom's export resizing, so I decided to process the raw files in a way to eliminate both. I used Capture One (C1) for the development, and I'm posting 100%-magnification (unresampled) files. I tried to use Raw Therapee for the raw developer, but the Fuji GFX 100 profile in the current version has color errors that are serious enough to make it difficult to compare the Sony and Fuji images.

I sharpened both the GFX 100 and a7RIV images with radius 0.5, amount 100%, and threshold 1. That gives a per-pixel level playing field. Then I sharpened the GFX image with the radius 0.7, which is the same amount of sharpening on an image-height basis.

Details here:

https://blog.kasson.com/gfx-100/a7riv-vs-gfx-100-landscape-iq-with-gigapixel-ai-part-2/

I couldn't show the 2000-pixel crops (equivalent to about 20,000 pixel high full images) on my blog, but I can show them to you here:

GFX 100, f/5.6 , radius 0.5

a7RIV, f/4

GFX 100, f/5.6, radius 0.7

This is more like what I expected when I did the Lightroom developed image experiment.

The Fuji is slightly handicapped by the fact that the 110/2 is not as sharp at f/5.6 as it is at f/4.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rbf
rbf
rbf
rbf
rbf
tex
rbf
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow