Z6 - 1 year on

Started 3 months ago | User reviews thread
mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 9,606
Re: Into the mind of Z6 Autofocus. Bookmark this.

aniltulsi wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

aniltulsi wrote

Thanks for the tip. I will try Wide area for BIF now. I haven't done BIF since I got my Z6 an year back, as I didn't find it suitable for it. However, I found that Auto Area mode worked well for birds, if they are flying in sky, without any other distraction.

I also use Face/Eye tracking for portraits and studio work. I just don't have to care anymore about where to focus, and camera does the job 100% of the times.

You are correct that Z doesn't work the same way as DSLR after it has lost the tracking, as you need to press the OK button again. However, I like the feature that the camera keeps tracking the subject even after you have released the AF-ON button, untill it doesn't loose it to background, which it often does. If Nikon has kept the tracking ON always, they should have given the AF-F feature for stills too, which is only available for video. But then, it would have consumed battery a lot, which is already not that great.

OK, this is an interesting argument FOR separation of tracking and focusing.  I also wondered if Nikon was trying to save power by keeping the computational intensive parts of the AF system off until specifically enabled.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6400 Nikon Z50 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow