Are these horizontal lines normal from R cameras?

Started Nov 25, 2019 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Hadrian R Regular Member • Posts: 142
Are these horizontal lines normal from R cameras?

I posted this on Canon Rumors, but I'm hoping that the larger user base here might help me shed some light on an issue I am experiencing with my new R camera.

I noticed that I am getting these strange lines across the highlight areas of my images. It's always in the bright highlight areas, and usually where the highlights transition to a midtone.

They appear in unedited RAW images. I've not tried JPEG.

Has anyone else experienced this with their R cameras? I'm wondering if it's a sensor issue, or if it's a normal phenomenon caused by the electronic shutter.

These crops are from images shot at f/1.2 using the EF 85mm f/1.2L II and the new RF 85mm f/1.2L, and at shutter speeds ranging from 1/6400 to 1/8000. However, I have also noticed this same phenomenon to a much lesser degree at speeds ranging from 1/250 to 1/320.

I have Silent LV Shoot Mode 1 enabled, as this is on by default.

I've not found any photos so far where the issue presents itself while using a f/2.8 lens or slower.

My camera was also set to evaluative metering, servo focus, and on a single AF point. Additionally, the camera's firmware is the latest.

I still have a week to return the camera to the store for a replacement, so I want to make sure everything is operating as it should.

Thanks in advance for everyone's time and help.

Hadrian R's gear list:Hadrian R's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow