Is this the banding everyone was talking about?

Started Nov 25, 2019 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
orbitalpunk
orbitalpunk Regular Member • Posts: 404
Is this the banding everyone was talking about?

So I'm currently deciding between the Nikon Z7 and the Sony A7RV1. I love how the Nikon feels and operates, but the image quality from the A7RVI is make the choice difficult. I ordered some other lenses for the Nikon to even the playing field.

But today I discovered banding in the Z7 images and I am wondering if this is the banding people were talking about or is my camera defective. I see banding in 200iso images so its not just high iso. The other thing is I didn't see or discover it in Lightroom, but I discovered it only after opening a RAW image in macOS Preview because I felt Lightroom was making these strange auto adjustments to every image and wanted to see what Preview would do. It's as if Lightroom processes the banding out up to a certain point. The A7RVI didn't show banding in the side by side shot in Preview.

horizontal banding in the grass

verticle banding

vertical banding

Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow