Is it worth getting an OG Canon EOS-M

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
2ndact scene1 Regular Member • Posts: 253
Re: Is it worth getting an OG Canon EOS-M

The M was pretty unique when it first came out because you had to use the touchscreen for controlling the menu and you had the option of setting SS or aperture on the screen too. It was also a good quality touchscreen. Maybe micro 4/3 had those features first but it was a major innovation in canon land.

Personally, I found the controls to be less than ideal. You have to be very careful about what you touch and be very careful checking what function the control wheel is assigned to (typically exposure comp or aperture). I just found the controls got in the way of shooting (or I lacked the patience to use it properly) and stopped using it. Another issue was occasionally getting into the scene modes accidentally (I never use scene modes) by touching the shooting mode incorrectly and not knowing how to get back. I happened to take the camera out a few days ago and it happened again! - though I know how to fix the problem now.

Other than those practical issues, it does take great images. The touchscreen also works well when the camera is on a tripod, especially for panoramas with an adapted lens because the tripod mount on the canon adaptor allows you to rotate the camera around a point between the sensor and the lens.

So for situations where I can take my time shooting, maybe it is time to give the M a second chance.

2ndact scene1's gear list:2ndact scene1's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon PowerShot G16 Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Joo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow