Weird noise on long exposure

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Asla Regular Member • Posts: 365
Re: Weird noise on long exposure

Andy01 wrote:

Asla wrote:

Andy01 wrote:

It is worth noting that in astro at least (and it may not apply to daytime long exposures to the same extent) there are a couple of things that are contrary to comments made above;

• ISO 100 is definitely NOT a default setting for long exposures at night, where often ISO settings of up to 6400 (or 1600 on APS-C) are used. Obviously it makes sense to keep the ISO as close to 100 as possible - light permitting, to keep noise levels down.
  • Most of the guys in the astro forums strongly recommend disabling LENR and using a post processed noise reduction as required instead (assuming that you are shooting RAW). I have never actually tried taking comparative shots in daytime so I cannot comment, but I never use it, even at night. One (very technically savvy) user (Roger Clark) has made reference in several threads and on his very good website that most modern cameras have sensors and processing such that LENR and even dark files are no longer necessary - he uses Canon himself, so that is his primary area of experience.

As for long exposures damaging the camera - not likely. Some astro guys with trackers are taking exposures of up to several minutes each for 8 hours continuously (to get enough images to effectively stack the images and reduce noise that way, so several hundred images in a night - no damages reported that I have ever seen.

Colin

Hi!

But isn't that iso 1600 in astrophotography used so that photos without trackers used had no trails? Photo with low iso leads to startrails and in other words high iso is used becouse it is needed, not because it it optumal iso for astro...

A s l a

I am aware of that - the low light for astro does require either higher ISO or a tracker. My point was simply that not all long exposures are done with ISO 100.

Obviously it is all about the amount of light available, and generally using the lowest ISO possible.

Colin

Hi!

Yes indeed!

A s l a

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow