Medium Format vs. Full Frame Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Hiphopapotamus Senior Member • Posts: 1,175
Re: Medium Format vs. Full Frame

Scans aren't easy, I think I posted some conundrums... By all means you're gonna max out your scanning resolution at some point....

1. Scanning with a digital camera you're going to max out by the limitations of your camera. I see some people try to scan anything bigger than small format with a Micro Four Thirds camera. I shake my head because you're never going to capture the full detail of medium format camera. If you're copying for personal use then fine whatever. If you want to copy the full detail then you either need a GFX, or A7 III but I've looked at both and seen that using small-format lenses creates image blur that wasn't in the original neg/positive due to the lack of resolution in the lens capturing the image.
  2. No one makes dedicated medium format scanners. You can get dedicated small format film scanners but most of these are cheap crap. I have heard that the maximum of flatbed seems to be 2400dpi although it certainly is still improving.
  3. People use old mini-labs for scanning, and they're great, but I've seen people using 20-year-old mini-labs which hardly has the latest sensors.
  4. You can use flatbeds with 4x5s or even 8x10s in which case the actual dpi of the scanner doesn't matter so much as you're not having to enlarge so much.
  5. The ones who do use the latest mini-labs are often either companies that do high volume such as Walmart (or the equivalent) and a lot of them don't do medium format film anyway.
  6. Or the other conundrum, they're the labs that still do high volume (Michael's in Australia, or Dwayne's in America). You play the game of being just another number.
  7. You go down the pathway of trying to find a mini-lab (or a drum scanner) from a lab that is closing down and you buy that instead and suffer the consequences of looking at things that may cost you anything up to $5k-$10k on the low side to begin with and then up to $30k if you want the later Fuji/Noritsu labs in the pursuit of happiness and end up as one of those people who makes their money back by printing for other people in your community. If your film community is big enough you might write down your losses and start making a profit on the scanning side of things after a couple of years.

Or you go the old fashioned way and learn how to print, and enlarge yourself and wet print somewhere like the shed in your back yard, or a room in your house you can make dark enough... Or you become like the crazy guy I know in his 50s who make his own emulsion and uses slow film to print onto tintypes that basically develop in broad daylight... if that's your thing.

I know a guy in my area that finally gave up on wet printing and put his enlarger out as a pot plant holder. That's upcycling for you.

Hiphopapotamus's gear list:Hiphopapotamus's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rbf
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow