Medium Format vs. Full Frame Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Hiphopapotamus Senior Member • Posts: 1,175
Re: Hmmm

JohnS59 wrote:

Erik Kaffehr wrote:

Hi,

I have downloaded one of 'Hiphopapotamus's' sample files and compared with two of my own. My own 67 Velvia image from the Pentax 67 was 8571 pixel high. So i have resized all images to that height.

Left Hiphopapotamus's sample file, center my scan from Velvia 67 on my Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro and right an image shot at the same place with the Phase One P45+ back on a Hasselblad 555/ELD.The images are obviously different, but they include living people at about the same size. Check the images at full size (below) and draw your own conclusions.The image in center makes a nice A2 size (16"x23") print, all that I can say, as I had such a print hanging on exhibition for a couple of moths.

I did not ask 'Hiphopapotamus'forpermission to use the image. It is used for educational purpose and I feel it is adequate use.

Best regards

Erik

That's interesting. I think the Phase One P45+ doesn't really impress here. Film has a different look of course. The "soft" grain structure I recognize from my own MF scans with the same scanner from Provia 100F. You're probably right that the 67 scanned file makes a very nice and sharp print.

John.

Film has a painterly quality about it, because it's an organic process, it's like a canvas with brush strokes and a colour palette and that's half reason I use it. That shot was shot on motion picture film (Cinestill 800T/Kodak Vision 3 500T) which is a medium format stock they use in cinemas today.

Digital while it can be crisper, also has the inherent problem of being inorganic and can be cold and uninviting. I particularly like the way that shot renders its colour. It may not be wildly accurate but it has a certain aesthetic of it's own. If you want more accurate colour you would lean towards digital, or you would walk around with a colour swatch like we did in the old days and grade it later for colour, then make a profile in Photoshop for the film stock like we did in the good old days if you wanted more accurate colours and you cared. The art of colour grading is a process in itself though, I prefer to just let the colour fall where it may... mostly because I don't need accurate colour.

That's a medium-sized scan so it's not capturing the full resolution of the film, the first image I uploaded of the Pizzeria is a full sized scan from a different lab to the one I use that has a later model Noritsu, but it's interesting...

That shot would make a nice 8x12 at 300dpi or you could downsample it with the same pixel count to 150dpi and it would still come up nicely at 16x24. Although we printed at 150 in the 90s, I prefer not to do that for fine art prints.

You will either love or hate the grain structure but that comes down to personal taste also. I quite like the grain and texture of film, although it's not for everyone.

Hiphopapotamus's gear list:Hiphopapotamus's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rbf
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow