Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Hiphopapotamus Senior Member • Posts: 1,175
Re: Medium Format vs. Full Frame

JimKasson wrote:

SrMi wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

thebbqguy wrote:

I like the idea of medium format and I drool over Clyde Butcher's landscapes. The medium format digital cameras are beyond my desired budget, but a used film camera seems like a viable consideration.

To this point I have kept my photography budget purposely conservative and dont see that changing in the near term.

Should I investigate medium format film or hold out for a full frame?

Butcher uses (or used) film cameras from 4x5 through 12x20. I don't think he ever used medium format film.

Butcher has been using digital cameras since about 2014 (Sony a7R with Cambo Actus). Here is a detailed list of his equipment (past and current):

https://clydebutcher.com/about-the-artist/technical-information/

Right, but the question was about film cameras. I don't think you're going to be able to do the kinds of things that Butcher does with film in medium format.

Umm... You can do high contrast black and white with amazing skies on anything... But this is Fomopan 100 on black and white. The level of detail in 6x9 is amazing... Black and white has even more resolution than colour.

Hiphopapotamus's gear list:Hiphopapotamus's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rbf
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow