35, 50 or Both?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,651
Re: 1.4 And 2.0

MMACory wrote:

Thanks and, if you don't mind, could you talk about about your 1.4 II vs. the 2.0 IS?

I see this as EF 35/1.4L IS II “and” the EF 35/2 IS, rather than one “versus” the other.
The short version would be that the use case is important. The 35/2 IS makes a compact do-it-all two-lens combo with my EF 100/2.8L Macro IS, has a very short Minimum Focusing Distance, accepts the same Macro Ring Lite adapter as the Macro L, and, of course, has Image Stabilization, which does matter, at times, especially on the pixel-dense 5Ds R. The 35/1.4L II is one of the most optically-perfect 35mm lenses available, has the wider aperture for lower light, and has weather sealing.

The magnification of the 35/2 IS does not make it a true macro lens, but its ability to photograph something at a very close distance, with the Macro ring Lite flash in place, certainly had its useful moments, such as photographing bullet holes while moving about inside a limo bus, which had been shot repeatedly. (From 2010 to early 2018, I had the added duty of evidentiary/forensic/crime scene photography, as part of my first-responder duties.)

Actually, even though the 35/2 IS could share the same Macro Ring Lite adapter as my work-horse Macro lens, I ordered a second adapter, as soon as I bought the 35/2 IS, as it makes a nicely-compact short metal hood, that I can leave in place all the time.

Because I may want to use two cameras, at the same time, one a 7D or 7D II, and the other a 5Ds R or 5D IV, I may be using two 35mm lenses at the same time, each providing a different angle of view. Had the 35/1.4L not been developed, I might have bought a second 35/2 IS.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +57 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow