Comparative shot: My SLT vs. Mirrorless setups

Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
SimpleUser
OP SimpleUser Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: Comparative shot: My SLT vs. Mirrorless setups

Dave Oddie wrote:

This is an interesting comparison. I wasn't expecting the 300 + TC option to track or focus as good as the A9 + 200-600.

I suppose even with the TC the 300 is still usefully brighter than the 200-600.

What about how they focus? The A99 will focus at full aperture and stop down to take the photo.

Doesn't the A9 focus at the taking aperture?

I think some of the A7x cameras can be set to focus wide open at the expense of a bit of speed of operation. No idea if the A9 can do that ir indeed if I am correct about focusing at the taking aperture but it's something to check out.

I took up using the x2+300mm over from using x1.4+500mm (sigma - it costs 1/3 of sony).

My idea was that I can take off the x2 when I want to shoot nocturnal wildlife using a telephoto, so the f2.8 300mm makes sense. Also, more than one review stted that A99ii was able to focus better than the A9 at low light.

As far as I know, and Im not 100% sure of it, but the wide open to focuse and stopping down to shoot is still the case for mirrorless. reason being, you cover up part of our sensors otherwise.

-- hide signature --

Interesintgly enough, I have got a Minolta AF 500mm - mirror (~4.5" in length, 635g, with fixed f8 (front mirror - like in a telescope). It was my favorite for some time and worked well for me even having it supposedly "stopped down". Focused really fast. As far as miror quality, they could have done a better job, though it is not far off the standard ones in terms of image quality.

Hope this provides you with some useful info, while answering your question as best I know for now.

--
NK88
ILCE9 | ILCA99m2 || Kenko MC7 x2|| Sony FE 200-600 g OSS | Minolta APO 300mm f2.8 | Tamron 150-600 G2 | Tokina 19-35 ||
LEAE4 || Kenko MC4 || Sigma500ex | Minolta AF 500 | Sigma 150&Macro

SimpleUser's gear list:SimpleUser's gear list
Kenko Teleplus MC7 AF 2.0 DGX Kenko Teleplus MC4 AF 1.4 DGX Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow