Em5.3 impressions

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 39,889
Em5.3 impressions

Just a quick set of impressions

- Body build - I actually prefer the way it's built. Less cold on fingers in cold weather

- I appreciate it's lighter

- Surprising default sensible choice for Lever - AF vs MF. Just like what I did on the EM5 mark II by hand.

- Spent some time going through the menu (along with someone else in the store with their copy) trying to find where the hell we could turn off the AF beep

- OLED refresh - though it's 60fps, there's short lag. Noticed fps drops to ~30fps when doing C-AF.

- Feels zippy/fast.

- Definitively focuses faster in lower light than PenF

- Feels like Olympus removed some options to simplify - good- but see below

- The PenF had a mode for low light that made the EVF into a slide show, though you could see clearly. The EM5.3 being much faster still has a slow refresh in this type of mode, but nowhere near the glacial slide show the PenF has.

- IBIS sure feels a bit better

===========

So on the why Olympus why category...

The Upper limit for Auto ISO is now 6400. That's all you can set. No more 8000-25600.

WHY Olympus why?

"But Ricardo, which Olympus cameras allow you to set auto iso upper limit to 25600?"

OMD EM5 MKII, Perf and *drum roll* entry level EPL9.

(I am sure the others too).

Seriously why on Earth did they change this? I always found a bit more complex that Fuji caps it at ISO 12800 and you can shoot 25600/51200 but you have to select it. Now Olympus did the same.

But why???

"OH but why would you like to shoot m43rds > ISO 6400?"

Glad you ask

Seriously I don't understand this. This undermines my workflow for street night life in some situations. Changing the ISO is never as fast and as right as simple setting the shutter you want and let the camera handle the ISO.

It's too bad because I am really liking the rest.

I guess if Olympus decides to do a firmware upgrade, this and the "My menu" should be at the top of the list. At least this one. I mean come on, the Mark II could do it, and the entry level EPL9 also can.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow