Crop Primes instead of using Zoom lenses?

Started 3 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
petercom
petercom Junior Member • Posts: 43
Crop Primes instead of using Zoom lenses?

Here's a question that I know won't please pixel peepers, so if that's you, keep away!

I've been pretty happy with my NEX-7 and good primes, shooting mainly landscapes, especially my Touit 12mm. But I'm often cropping images to get the best composition, as any good photographer should.

I've dillied and dallied about buying a good zoom, but the corner softness, distortion and astigmatism have always put me off.

So I'm now considering the A7r IV, on the basis that it has more megapixels than I'll ever need, so I can continue working with excellent primes and crop as necessary. Trouble is, there doesn't seem to be a really good 12mm prime for the FE format, and people go on and on about how good the Sony 12-24mm f/4 zoom is.

This makes me wonder whether I'd be better off getting a heavily discounted A7r III and using a combo of the 12-24 f/4 and 24-70 f/2.8 and composing in-camera?

Or would I get better results using the A7r IV with, say, a Sigma 14mm f/2.8 Art and Sony 35mm f/1.8 and cropping for composition in the digital darkroom?

Seems to me that the benefits of cropping high resolution lenses means you're moving into the higher acuity centre diameter of the lenses anyway, so it's win-win.

The only downside I can see, because I don't like hiking across the countryside with more than two lenses, is that I've got nothing covering the long end, which the 24-70 would give me, if and when I need it.

(I'm ignoring the other benefits of the A7r IV, like improved grip, fast focus and so on, for this exercise)

What do the team think would be in my best interests?

petercom's gear list:petercom's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
ANSWER:
Sony a7R Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow