Olympus is removing firmware features

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,827
Olympus is removing firmware features

I would have already bought an E-M10III a long time ago if the silent electronic shutter was in PASM like it is in the E-M10II. Also, the E-M10II has 4 MySets that can be programmed to the mode dial. Olympus also removed that from the E-M10III. I use both of these features all the time with my E-M10II and PEN-F. These are strictly firmware features, no extra or different hardware required. It is incomprehensible why Olympus would remove good, useful firmware features that we use.

The E-M5III has followed this same path of removing firmware features. You can only put one MySet/Custom setting on the mode dial. That is just a firmware restriction. I wanted to buy the E-M5III also, but there is a good chance I won't because of this unless a firmware update comes out that restores it.

The E-M5III has 20mp, PDAF, weather-sealing, etc. so I don't think these small firmware restrictions are attempts to differentiate it from the E-M10III.

I don't like this new direction Olympus in removing useful firmware features in their newer cameras. I would buy if firmware updates for the E-M10III and E-M5III come out that restore the features. Probably I would get both.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow