There will be a brief outage for database maintenance in approximately 1 hour(s) 52 minutes

1000mm

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fpapp
fpapp Regular Member • Posts: 368
1000mm

This is something I've been thinking about for a while. I'm asking for opinions more out of curiosity than any real need for this much reach.

which of these two options do you feel would provide the best image quality? Both options are manual focus with f/11 aperture.

1) AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E plus Teleconverter TC-20E III

or

2) RefIex-Nikkor 1000mm f/11

The third and probably best image quality option is the NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E with its dedicated 1.25x converter, but at $16000 is not even a consideration in this question.

I'm aware of all the limitations of very long focal lengths. Need for very stable support, fast shutter speed, atmospheric conditions, etc.

With the reflex lens I'm also aware of the doughnut shaped bokeh and the lower contrast (which of course can be fixed in post).

All things being equal, which option do you think would give sharper, better quality images?

fpapp's gear list:fpapp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +39 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow