A7II vs A6400 for all around use ?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Claire Dupuis Senior Member • Posts: 1,775
A7II vs A6400 for all around use ?

Hi guys, sorry for an umptieth "X vs Y" post, but I'm pulling my hair out and need a real push from you keen Sony users.

Here's the deal. Former pro photog (equestrian photography). No more pro need, other than to shoot some products in daylight (I now run an e-commerce, I sell western horse tack). I still shoot my own horses for fun at liberty, and I'll take the camera on the occasional trip, although I tend to use my phone these days for quick and dirty landscape shots in vacation (it does much better than it has any right to....).

I'm a Nikon lover at heart BUT I'm also a mirrorless convert from Day 1, meaning I've shot NEX and Alpha bodies for a number or years. I also have a Canon M5 and a few Canon or Sigma lenses in Canon mount. I've recently sold ALL my Nikon gear after trying out the Z6, I'll wait until Nikon has gotten a bit better at this game.

So Sony it seems to be for my next system. I don't want to spend an arm and leg on photo gear, horse ownership is immensely expensive, so let's say I'm on a very tight budget.My dilemma is between the A7II (I currently use a loaner A6000 with the mc-11 and recent Sigma lenses and I'm happy enough with its AF performance, so i assume the A7 should be at least on par ?), and the A6400. Both can be had at Amazon Warehouse or pre-owned on eBay for roughly 850€, so they're pretty much the same in terms of expense. However, I do own 2 lenses (Canon 50/1.8 and Sigma Contemporary 17-70/2.8-4) that would work immediately on the A6400, whereas I would need to get the 24-105 Art if I were to chose the A7II.

I can live with APS-C. I do like FF better, but I don't like the extra bulk and pricier lenses. So I'm very undecided here.... The form factor of the A6400 is unexciting and slightly smaller than what I'd like, the A7 is about perfect in girth, but the shutter is loud (at least I had the original A7 and this thing was obnoxiously loud).

Oh I LOVE to shoot adapted lenses on the Sony bodies, so I have a few of those for low light, portrait type stuff.

Whatever bit of advice, opinion or suggestion you may have, just throw it at me. By the way the little Canon M5 is a sweet little camera, but the AF system is slightly a joke, at least forget shooting horses with it, even just walking around the pasture.

Thanks in advance for you input

-- hide signature --

'I guess if everybody went crazy together nobody would notice, what do you think ?'

Nikon Z6 Sony a6000 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow