Photo Organization and Hard Drive Space

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
techgirl Forum Member • Posts: 97
Photo Organization and Hard Drive Space

Hello brain trust.  I am curious for input on my current dilemma.  I have 2 issues (and please do not judge me for owning a Macbook - I am judging myself enough on that one).

1) I am out of hard drive space on my Macbook.  And as much as I would love to buy a new computer, this one is still blazing fast and just has an issue with hard drive space.  Any DH said no to new computer.  Do any of you use an external hard drive for pictures?  The pictures are taking up more than half of my hard drive.  I do have my hard drive backed up to a cloud and the service i use should also handle an external hard drive.

2) I am pretty sure problem #2 is contributing to problem #1.  I have a system for organizing pictures.  I have a folder for year, month, and event that keeps pictures taken with my DSLR super organized.  Where I am a hot mess is pictures taken on my iPhone.  It is beyond comprehension the snarled mess i have.  I think when I synced my phone at some time it went to some default folder in some obscure place on my hard drive.  And then occasionally I started manually trying to classify iphone pictures based on my system for DSLR pictures.  And then somehow when I setup a new iPhone i think it pulled in every picture I own onto my iPhone (with no differentiation between which are on my hard drive and which only live on my phone).  I am beyond frustrated.  I suspect I have duplicate pictures (when I manually placed photos in the proper place, done dumps before updating phones, and where Apple automatically synced them to).  If you read through this convoluted problem, you get a prize.  Anybody, have a process that works for them on pictures taken on a phone.  I am going to need to take an inordinate amount of time to reconcile the default iPhone folder pictures to what is in my folder system on my hard drive to what is on my phone currently.   Is there a way to find duplicate pictures on a hard drive.  Since my hard drive is completely full, this problem is bubbling to the surface.

3)  For those of you with a Macbook, what do you use to view pictures?  I used to use Picasa and love it.  Honestly, I still use it even though it is unsupported.  I know there is a default app called "photos" on the Macbook.  I don't really use it. I need to mess with it as it does not sync with where I keep the majority of pictures.  It looks like it is tied to the default place that Apple puts pictures when you sync you phone.

Sorry for the long and convoluted post.  If anybody has been in this situation and has suggestions, let me know.

techgirl's gear list:techgirl's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow