A9\A9II with 85gm as first lens?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
antonio88 New Member • Posts: 8
A9\A9II with 85gm as first lens?

Hi everyone,

So this bothers me a bit and I seek your wisdom. For a better part of a year I conducted a thorough research of Sony gear and settled on A9II, after changing my mind dozens of times.

Why A9ii? Because I want the best possible AF, especially in low light when I mostly shoot, and because it is future-proofed (FW updates), weather-sealed(ish) and more ergonomic A9, which is already almost perfect.

So my funding is obviously stretched rather thin with the inclusion of A9II in it (funding limit is about 10,000€) and I had to scratch multiple items on my wishlist, among them 24 and 135GM (camera that was previously on the list was A7III).

TL;DR: Does it make any sense to pair up autofocusing beast that is A9II with a, as most people online say, snail-like AF capabilities of gorgeous 85GM?

Would this combo be significantly slower than A9II+135GM in low light situations?

In good light I assume, though could be wrong, that AF tracking of not-fast-moving targets would be similar? 
to be clear, I definitely intend to acquire, sometime, both 24 and 135 GM's, but 85 seems optimal, not on the extreme end of focal length, and that rendering and bokeh.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,

also, I'm aware that FE 85 1.8 has faster AF but I just prefer GM's image quality.

And to say it right away, in my god-forsaken country there is no testing of gear in the stores, or renting, and even returning the gear is a process I'd rather not get involved in.

Sorry for longer than necessary post but I wanted to put things into context,
thanks,
Antonio

Sony a9 Sony a9 II Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow