How to see all stars & other small details on pics?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Magnar W
Magnar W Senior Member • Posts: 4,356
Re: How to see all stars & other small details on pics?

Thomas1975 wrote:

I´m in trouble with my 7RIV.

It cleans a lot of stars, when I take night shots. Also, photographing colourful patterns with a lot of small details, my camera "swallows" details.

This is about what "Star Eater" do with the A7rIII when pixel peeping. The spatial filtering should probably have less effect on A7rIV files since this sensor has smaller pixels.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61784964?image=0

I´ve used different lenses, so this is no lens problem. The previuos published "star eater phenomenon" should´nt be existing with the 7RIV, Sony service told me.

Are your lenses focused manually and very precise? Most lenses will focus "beyond" infinity when relying on hard stop. And are you using very high ISO, or pushing the files a lot at post processing?

I´ve switched off all picture improving things.

Jpg or raw should not make any noticeable difference.

Try some exposures at 3.2 sec, pointing the camera close to the Polar star to avoid stretched stars caused by Earth's rotation. Thenb do the same with 4 sec exposure. Then you should be able to see the difference between no "star eater" and "star eater".

Anyone some tipp for me?

Would be very helpful if you posted some sample photos!

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow