How to see all stars & other small details on pics?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
sharkmelley
sharkmelley Senior Member • Posts: 2,308
Re: Chomp, chomp

JimKasson wrote:

Thomas1975 wrote:

I´m in trouble with my 7RIV.

It cleans a lot of stars, when I take night shots. Also, photographing colourful patterns with a lot of small details, my camera "swallows" details.

I´ve used different lenses, so this is no lens problem. The previuos published "star eater phenomenon" should´nt be existing with the 7RIV, Sony service told me.

The a7RIV eats stars:

https://blog.kasson.com/a7riv/sony-a7riv-raw-spectra-vs-shutter-speed/

Jim

Thanks for confirming the usual raw filtering behaviour. That's an interesting additional effect taking place horizontally in the blue channel. I wonder if it is related to the PDAF rows? Over on Nikon Z Mirrorless Talk, Jack Hogan recently showed similar horizontal blue channel behaviour in the PDAF rows of the Nikon Z7.

To the OP, are your image exposures 3.2sec or more, which is when the raw data filtering kicks in? Sony service will certainly tell you that the star eater issue is fixed in such long exposure images. But in reality Sony replaced the algorithm with a less aggressive one which tends to attenuate the brightness of sharply focused stars and turn them green. It can also has the side effect of reducing contrast in sharply defined tiny details of regular (i.e non-astro) long exposure images.

Mark

sharkmelley's gear list:sharkmelley's gear list
Sony a7S Nikon Z6 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow