Need help choosing between 16mmf2.8, 18mm, or 23mmf2.

Started 2 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mtbcarl New Member • Posts: 14
Need help choosing between 16mmf2.8, 18mm, or 23mmf2.

Hi all, I'm back with yet another lens choice. I've decides against the 10-24mm in favor of a small light prime for my XT1 to take photos on mountain bike rides and hikes. I want the lightest most compact kit while staying with the atmittedly not light or compact XT1 body. I just love photograpghy with it.

I will be doing mostly adventure and landscape photos of the beautiful trails and mountains I ride in here in Boise Idaho, but also need a lens to be versatile enough to handle documentary stuff, the occasional action shot of riding buddies, and nature stuff I encounter. I'll eventually be adding the 16-50 or the 18-55 for travel and vacations, but just want one prime to keep it simple for everyday use.

Now I'm having the hardest time settling on a lens. As stated in the title, I'm debating between the nee XF 16mm F2.8, the 18mm, and the 23mm F2 lenses.

My main question is about your user experience regarding the utitlity and size of each lens.

The 16mm equates to the 24mm preferred focal length of many of my favorite adventure/ landscape photographers John Watson of radavist.com and of course the legendary Galen Rowell, but it seems like maybe it'd be a bit too wide for an everyday allrounder.

The 18mm equates to roughly the same FL as my cell phone, which I am very comfortable with, pretty versatile, but also a bit boring. (I may as well get a Ricoh GR?)

The 23mm seems like the perfect choice for an everyday allrounder lens, but maybe a bit too narrow for the wide open landscapes I encounter in the mountains? I do enjoy a the way a wide lens dramatizes the sky and clouds. On the other hand, the 23mm would be a unique way to set my new photos apart from all my cell phone and kit lens photos.

The 18 is the smallest.

The 16 would bring the drama, but not much else.

Is the 23 bulky to you? Would the 23mm still be wide enough for mountain landscapes, because it seems perfect for everything else...

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rbf
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow