Sony A7III focusing problem

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Loran2115 New Member • Posts: 8
Sony A7III focusing problem

I have had some problems focusing in some dark environments in events and wedding reception. Especially when people are dancing. The AF just isn't fast enough.

So I made a few test with an a7III w/ the Tamron 28-75 2.8 at home to check out some setting. I had the same result with the a6400 (w/ 18-135 F4) and I discovered something very weird:

First, it seem that the Sony system can't see some subtle lines like on the edge of this whiteboard (Yes I know in the image, the focus box isn't on the edge). A DSLR can easily see it, why can't Sony ML? And Second : The Camera can see the edge of these plates only in one orientation  and not the other!

What's up with that!??!

1) Camera can't focus on this line formed from the edge of this whiteboard. My DSLR Nikon 750 does this no problem. (yes I know the focus point isn't on the edge in this photo)

2.1) Camera can't see these Horizontal line while on landscape mode. You can see that there is no s=focus peaking on the plates while on DMF mode

2.2) But when I turn the camera to portrait mode, the focus peaking picks the plates up! (Same DMF mode but I didn't refocus, just kept the same focus as the previous photo)

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow