Taking G9 and V2 firmware for a spin

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 15,976
Taking G9 and V2 firmware for a spin

Light wasn't great today it was really cold but felt I had to get out and give it a go. My only interest is in focusing changes, don't do video and don't care about hi-res.

1. The big gain is peaking in AFS , fantastic it will rarely be turned off on my camera. Brilliant for BIFs as you get instant feedback and gives a real confidence boost.  I particulary enjoyed seeing individual birds in a distant flock of duck in flight turn instantly blue.

2. Animal focus. Works great on people shaped people even at some distance and full length on the 100-400. Similarly dog shaped dogs. I didn't see it as much of an advantage because it works best on subjects where you were almost certain to get decent focus anyway although as with the peaking above, that green box is a good confidence booster.

3. Animal focus - birds. Pretty much useless both on the ground and in the air. I had frame filling gulls , pigeons and pheasants none of which were recognised. BIFs which were recognised straight away with the peaking didn't respond either. I only had one hit with the woodpecker below and why this is recognised as animal I don't know.  The green box fitted comfortably around the bird.

4. Near priority appears to work. I was hitting birds and thin feeders (see woodpecker pic) in front of bushes every time. I either kept the focus on the animal setting or used my normal default custom multi star but it was 99% succesful in both cases.

5. Far priority , I think it works but difficult to test.

6. General focusing. Despite the low light I was feeling that I was hitting with success remarkably consistently. That may have been because the peaking was reassuring me but I get the feeling that there has been an improvement over the previous performance which was already lightning fast

-- hide signature --

Recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow