Is anyone concerned about the new FF Foveon

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dellaaa
dellaaa Contributing Member • Posts: 986
Is anyone concerned about the new FF Foveon

I'm a little worried actually, I think today the Bayer competition is far ahead, image wise, of what it was when the SD1 was introduced. The new FFF will have to compete against 83 MP plus cameras that feature pixel shift, and I don't think an addition 5 MP per layer (as compared to the SD1) will do it. That plus the ability to shoot at ISOs not even thinkable by Foveon is not such a good sign.

My first reaction to the specs was that Sigma is trying to make the Foveon a more all around camera by focusing its ability to capture more light and hence shoot at higher ISOs. A 33% increase in pixels is modest in comparison to the Bayer FF sensors which went from around 36 MP at the time of the SD1, to the current 83 MP, a more that 100% increase.

I was thinking that was the reason Sigma introduced the FP, was maybe they are thinking the same thing, that Foveon will eventually be supplanted by mega mega pixel Bayer sensors. IDK, all i know is the sampling resolution of the FF sensor is less than the SD1, if you calculate the number of pixels divided by the surface area.

Image quality that is  resolution and micro contrast was the reason I got into Sigma, IDK how it will compare.

Images from the new Sony looks pretty nice

dellaaa's gear list:dellaaa's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Sigma SD1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 +6 more
Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GCL
GCL
GCL
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow