Best backpack / rucksack for hiking photographers

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Chris 222 Contributing Member • Posts: 912
Re: Best backpack / rucksack for hiking photographers

Wateraddict wrote:

Not on ski trips but on short hikes with snow shoes and in the winter Yes. I love the winter for the type of photography I do. Light hiking and average use. If you have any other recommendations I would be all ears.

The Freerider Pro 30 is a super-well built bag (typical of this brand) but like many winter packs it has no water bottle pockets. We tend to ignore hydration in the winter but it's a mistake since we dehydrate just as quickly, especially at altitude. Anyhow, you can still stick an insulated bottle inside the pack but then you have to drop your bag any time you want a sip. But the bigger problem in my book, is the fact that this pack doesn't have a rain cover, a big no-no when you have photo gear inside.

FWIW if I were in your shoes I'd go with the Deuter Futura Pro 40 which is a true 4-season pack and has far more options for photo gear access (see post #1 for the gory details) and hydration. You also get a TMP with considerably better weight spread, meaning that in practice both the bag and the load feel much lighter. Alternatively, the Deuter Futura 36 Pro, a standard PP bag, has a side zipper but I'd caution about the practicality of this type of access. It's actually easier and less messy to just drop your pack vertical in the snow (the bottom is waterproof) and access your lenses in the ICU at the top of the bag. Both these packs should also be really nice for putting your snow shoes either in the stretch front pocket or lashed to the 4 loops on the top cover. BTW, both these models are under $130 now which is a steal.

Does this make sense?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow