External TB3 storage (SSD)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,938
2013 MP SSD upgrade?

vett93 wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

That's a nice solution, but for stills work it may be overkill. I found no difference in performance when batch exporting JPEGs from heavily adjusted RAWs whether the master image files were hosted on a 2.5" standard SSD in a $10 USB3 enclosure or on the 3x-4x faster internal SSD on my 2013 8-core Mac Pro. At roughly 300MB/s, storage throughput clearly isn't the bottleneck.

I had the same setup with yours; i.e., using USB3 connecting to an external SSD from a 2013 model Mac Pro. I also got about 300+MB/s of throughput. You are right that I couldn't tell the speed difference while editing large RAW files in LR.

I eventually upgraded the internal SSD to a NVMe M.2 2TB Saumsung 970 EVO SSD.

Interesting. I thought the 2013 Mac Pro's internal SSD used some proprietary connector and that upgrades were limited to SSDs made specifically for the Mac Pro (e.g. from Other World Computing). Does a stock Samsung SSD go straight in, or does it require any kind of modification or adapter?

The LR preview file has grown to 100GB and the internal SSD was getting full. Now with a larger internal SSD, I don't have to move files around constantly!

My personal and business LR Classic folders weigh 200GB and 150GB, but that still leaves me about half of my 1TB SSD for active projects, which is plenty.

I had to put a heatsink on the Samsung SSD and increased the fan speed from about 800rpm idle to 935rpm idle.

Would you care to share details of how you did this? Not that I'm in the market - my 1TB suffices - but I'm curious.

This has reduced the temperature by 20+ degrees F.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +47 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow