Does auto ISO impact AF performance?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 19,974
Re: Does auto ISO impact AF performance?

I Love Furry Animals wrote:

So I'm learning photographing bird. I need to be able to focus on the moving bird as quickly as possible.

Was thinking that the camera might need to "think" more to calculate the right exposure and then going to be slower to focus? Is this even a valid concern? If so, is it camera dependent?

I can’t imagine that auto ISO and the exposure calculation has any affect on focus speed.  However, other settings can on specific cameras.

Some photographers, myself included, think that IBIS can interfere with high speed shooting because IBIS may be moving the sensor when the on-sensor AF system is trying to determine focus.

Selecting the option to confirm focus before releasing the shutter definitely slowed down the shutter release on one of my cameras.  It checked the focus even when I had focus locked..  It also introduced a delay at the beginning of a burst.  This setting can also affect FPS rates.

Ask for recommended bird photography settings on the forum for your camera.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow