AF tracking - AI Servo vs AF-C (Not iTR vs 3D)

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimCorbett
JimCorbett New Member • Posts: 24
AF tracking - AI Servo vs AF-C (Not iTR vs 3D)

This is what I read in the DPR's 5DmkIV review:

Frankly, AI Servo can be a mixed bag on Canon DSLRs (even the 1D X II) often enough that if it weren't for another trick up the 5D IV's sleeve, I'd revert to the good old focus-and-recompose method to shoot a wedding with the 5D Mark IV.

Can someone, who has used both brand's recent models, share an opinion if this is true or not.
Usually the dispute is about DR, but AF?
If Canon's AI Servo really is a "mixed bag", then how come most of the paid sport/nat geo wildlife photographers still use their Canons? Assuming the bag is real, then what is the benefit of infamous "L" glass if the shot is oof? Or, they all shoot manual?

Which one has the more reliable AF tracking in reality: 1dx2 vs D5; 5DmkIV vs D850; 80D vs D7500 etc., or whatever your personal experience with the two is? Once again, I'm talking about when you track something in servo/continuous mode, not the AI stuff! Which one's AF jaws lock quicker and stronger onto the subject? Face/eye priority doesn't concern me, since I'm interested in wildlife - four-legged creatures mostly:)
Are the Canons "worse", or the Nikons - "better"?
Disclaimer: I respect both brands as long time photo industry leaders.
Thanks!

Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS-1D X Nikon D5 Nikon D7500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow