Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Review - Awesome rendering but unnaceptable slow AF!

Started 3 weeks ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Daniel DM New Member • Posts: 14
Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Review - Awesome rendering but unnaceptable slow AF!

I have used this lens for 5 months on my Sony A7 III for many portraits sessions. I upgraded from Sony FE 85mm F1.8 and hoped so much that would have been a masterpiece (considering the price).

The sharpness, rendering, colors and bokeh are really fantastic. But it has one major weakness: AF!

AutoFocus is just unacceptable for a 1800 dollars lens!
- The AF in low light is so slow, and noisy. (like an old cheap lens)
- When the light just falls a little, AF accuracy drops significantly.
- The AF accuracy of people walking slowly is below average at F1.8 (in longer distances, even in good lighting).

I have used both lenses and compared in the same situations and the results are crazy:
99% AF accuracy with Sony FE 85mm F1.8 and just 80% with Sony GM F1.4.

There is no sense to buy an expensive F1.4 lens to use only in full sun for having good and accurate AF! At the end of the day, if the eyes of the subject are not in focus, a photo is just missed.

So 1 month ago I sold the GM, and bought another copy of the Sony 85mm FE F1.8. (which is again amazing!)

Daniel DM's gear list:Daniel DM's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +1 more
Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM
Telephoto prime lens • Sony FE
Announced: Feb 3, 2016
Daniel DM's score
Average community score
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow