Curation software for non-power users

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
emt85 New Member • Posts: 13
Curation software for non-power users

Wife and I are having our first baby in a few months. With the anticipation that we will be taking many more photos than we currently do, i went out and got us a used digital camera (Olympus OMD-EM5 II) along with some lenses.

Several years ago, I had a DSLR, shot RAWs and used lightroom for editing and curation. A few years back, my wife and I found we were taking vast majority of our photos with our iPhones and sold the DSLR. We've both gotten new computers since, so no more Lightroom.

Currently, all our photos are kept on a networked storage drive on a media PC in our house. Every few months my wife and I will extract photos from our iphones into that drive to save them. But That PC does not have any photo software on it -- so we just have a directory with a bunch of jpegs and RAW files in it. No easy way to go back and look at the photos, so we never really get to see them.

Moving forward with new baby and new camera, I'm envisioning shooting OOC JPEG with the Olympus camera along with our usual photos from the iPhones. We will want to curate photos and do some light editing/exposure/cropping stuff.

I enjoyed Lightroom years ago, but my wife never really got the hang of it. I'm not enthusiastic about paying $120/year for a subscription service. I just don't think we'll use it often enough to justify it.

Wife and I both have mac laptops and each of us has an iPad. I have a PC desktop at home as well for gaming and media, this is where all photos are ultimately stored. Wife also has a laptop PC for work. So we're not locked into a specific operating system. Optimally, we would have a solution that would allow us to interact with photo library on PC, Mac and iPad.

I look forward to hearing recommendations, thank you!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow