How Do I Measure Noise Using Photoshop? And What Is A Significant Change?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 14,342
The Dark Ages got some things right

MrBrightSide wrote:

Which is the exact reason I want to find a way to actually measure noise—the human eye is so easily tricked. I can't afford a program like Imatest though so I'm praying for a solution that already exists in a program to which I have access.

“Statistically significant” doesn’t mean “practically significant”. In photography, lots of folks look at the numbers but slight differences won’t make any difference in the final photograph. For example, you might evaluate strobes, and one model may produce 5% more light than another: that’s measurable, but not photographically significant.

Rather, don’t confuse the means (the camera, software, lenses, etc.) with the ends, that is, producing a good image.

One of my kids has MatLab on his laptop, does that have a noise-measurement component?

Thats what imaging scientists use: or, you can download the free GNU Octave package, which aims to be functionally equivalent to Matlab.

Unfortunately, you have to write the code yourself. It does have the ability to read image files and manipulate them, but it does require serious programming.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow