16-80 with the 1.02 f/w update

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
vartkes Junior Member • Posts: 30
16-80 with the 1.02 f/w update

I tested the this lens and X-H1 with the 1.02 firmware update. The subject is fencing in my backyard, about 4 feet away, AF-S, aperture priority, on a tripod with remote shutter release. I use mechanical shutter usually and so I did today.

The test was to assess sharpness of the lens at 16mm f4, f8, f16. Repeat the same three apertures at 50mm and 80mm. Process RAW files in Irident X-Transformer applying 'medium' sharpening. View images in Lightroom at 100% magnification and compare at given focal lengths. No other adjustments in post applied.

My observations are:

1.  the softest focus is at f16 for all three focal lengths! This softness is consistent at the centre out to the edges. I am surprised at this outcome
  2.  f8 aperture was best at 16mm to worst at 80mm. Overall f8 stayed sharper than f16 - again a surprise
  3. f4 performed the best across all three focal lengths. The sharpness at f4 is very acceptable.

I know many of you will be shaking your heads wondering how this is happening...I tried to be careful and consistent with the shooting conditions. There were no wind gusts. The carbon tripod and KIRK ball-head is rated to carry 30lbs. and more.

I shoot at f8-f16 more often than at wide open end. So this lens going back this week. Perhaps there will be more f/w updates to improve the performance.

Also note that the MTF charts at Fujifilm website doesnot reflect the performance I got. Perhaps I have a bad copy.

ONE other very curious item to note. There is a little paragraph in the little user manual that comes with the 16-80. I quote:

"Because image stabilization is also effective in reducing blur caused by motion of the mechanical shutter, we recommend that you enable OIS even when using a tripod" !!!! Go figure... I repeated the test throughout with OIS enabled on the tripod. There was no improvement in sharpness. The comparative results stated above repeated with IOS on.

So sad to say this is the first disappointment with a Fujinon lens for me. It is going back.

vartkes's gear list:vartkes's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +5 more
Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow